Monday, May 28, 2007

Some GIS thoughts.

Once I tried an interesting software in my old Handspring Visor Edge.It gave your current global co-ordinates with centimetre accuracy,(here comes the interesting part) without any hardware gadgets or GPS devices either built-in or plugged in. Ain't it cool?Yeah, I thought too, and when given to calculate a fix, it showed "You are Here", with a position marker which looked professional.haha. Now there are different ways to do it, and even add a target and an "I'm here" facility, calculate the distance, get co-ordinates, search for road intersections and for landmarks, zoom in on the data, link it to addresses, drag the map, get the map moving with the GPS input, edit ESRI shapefiles on the field and more. Yes, I'm talking abt the HandMap utility for the PalmOS 5.0 and above, which I'm now using with my Treo 600.It's a sexy li'l piece of software for the outdoor person. The purpose of this blog is not the HandMap utility itself, but abt developing and sharing data for the platform. The only software that I'm aware of that outputs data in the format that Handmap can process is the MapIt Enterprise Edition , though to view the data that you created in the Mapit, you would need a valid license for your Handmap, and that too for Deluxe/Pro Edition. I've tried developing the Trivandrum Roadmap with some Landmark and Junction layers, and would love to have contact with people in the same interest area. I'd like to add that my interest is not limited to Trivandrum. I'd be glad if there are any positive reactions to this, either to try out or to develop new. Anyone having a Licensed Mapit EE would be welcome, always. I'm sorry to have no screen captures with me, to actually show the Handmap in action.

No comments: